Location and Demographics:
- Located in Vendsyssel and is Denmark's northernmost city.
- Has 7,547 inhabitants (2023).
- Is part of Frederikshavn Municipality in Region North Jutland.
History and Culture:
- Known for its Skagen painters such as PS Krøyer, Anna Ancher and Michael Ancher, who were attracted by the area's unique light.
- Skagens Museum houses many of the masterpieces created by these artists.
- The Skagen Festival was started in 1971.
- The town's houses are characteristically painted in a special yellow color, known as "skagen yellow", with white edges on the roof tiles.
- Skagen was first mentioned in the 1st century AD. by Pliny the Elder.
- Originally, Skagen was the name of the entire promontory, Skagens Odde, which forms the tip of Vendsyssel.
Nature and Tourism:
- Known for the sandy church and Grenen, where the Skagerrak and Kattegat meet.
- Sand drift has been a problem in the area, especially in the 16th century, leading to the destruction of farmland.
- The tilting lighthouse in Skagen was originally built in 1627 and was in operation until 1747. The current tilting lighthouse is a copy.
- Fishing has always been an important part of Skagen's economy.
- Strandings and wreck timber used to be a significant source of income for the city.
Guide to Skagen 2023
At the top of Denmark is the charming fishing village of Skagen, which with good reason remains one of the country's most popular holiday destinations. The city offers a wide range of cultural experiences for all ages, and with the cozy dune landscape, the roar of the sea and the characteristic yellow houses, the city forms the setting for an idyllic holiday atmosphere.
We have gathered the best experiences, places to eat and accommodation that the resort has to offer for both young and old. If you want to explore other parts of North Jutland, you can find our local recommendations here.
In Skagen you can find many exciting experiences, whether you are into culture, nature or just pure cosiness in an idyllic setting. Skagen's popularity comes in part from these many experience opportunities, which ensure that there is plenty to do when the whole family goes there.
We have gathered the best experiences that Skagen has to offer - including experiences where the fantastic nature that characterized the city is included.
Restaurants and tasting experiences
As a popular holiday destination, Skagen of course offers a wide range of delicious eateries that can gastronomically compete with some of the country's best. The resort gets its taste buds activated in the most positive sense.
Below we have made a list of some of the places where the food is tasty and the setting invites for a cozy dinner or lunch.
If you are going on a trip to Skagen and experience the many exciting sights, then it makes things a little more convenient if you have a place to stay overnight. The city has some of the nicest and most remarkable hotels in all of Denmark - so it should probably be possible to find accommodation that falls into good soil with most people.
We have made an overview of the accommodation options, which both provide an insight into the classic idyll that is characteristic of Skagen, as well as form a comfortable setting for a night's sleep and provide an opportunity for relaxation.
Facts about Skagen
Explore more of North Jutland
… And get tips for experiences, places to eat and accommodation in our local recommendations
Download our free app
… And get tips for experiences, restaurants, etc. near you right now.